Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz

Grace Renquist and Luther Malone are both psychic aura handlers. Grace’s aura ability allows her to see auras like a fingerprint, everyone’s different. Luther’s abilities can subdue your feelings to the point of affecting your thoughts. On a job based in Hawaii, the two discover a deadly plot by a group who call themselves Nightshade who use a formula to boost their own psychic abilities. Maybe Hawaii is not all it’s cracked up to be. As they connect the dots to the mystery of Nightshade, their feelings for each other burn through. 


“While on the hunt for a killer, two gifted psychics take things to a whole new level—including the passion between them…”


The Arcane Society series contains twelve books with two sub trilogies within it. The books are standalones and do not have to be read in a particular order, but Running Hot is considered by the author, Jayne Ann Krentz, to be book five. 


Reference: http://www.maryse.net/reading-order-guide/jayne-ann-krentz-%E2%80%93-arcane-society-series-reading-order.html


It isn’t a simple Scooby-Doo mystery where one bad guy is behind it all. There are many different links to these chain of events, but it wasn’t difficult to keep up. At first everything seems disjointed, but it all comes together. In some aspects a little too conveniently, but still entertaining and suspenseful. 


The characters aren’t complex, but they are powerful. One of the most interesting aspects is learning how Grace and Luther’s powers work. The background of the characters is once again, another aspect that holds my attention. Running Hot is more plot driven, I think it tries to be character driven given the focus on people’s psychic abilities and background, but I was personally more invested in the plot. Unlike White Lies which spotlights the romance, Running Hot spotlights the mystery and the mystery did not fail to interest me. 


The writing itself is decent, better with the descriptions. It didn’t trigger my editor personality, but it didn’t stand out either. 


I rate Running Hot 3.5 out of 5. 


It is the little things that made this book for me. So far, I haven’t been able to place any connection to the other books besides the world itself. Even though these books are standalone, they are part of a larger concept. I’m looking forward to figuring out the overall connection. It may just be the concept of psychics solving mysteries, but it would be a disappointment if that is the case. 


My Favorite Character: Fallon Jones. Still intrigued by this trip of a man.


My Least Favorite Character: Vivien. Her personality is trash. She is just convenient character fodder in my opinion. 


Would I re-read: Yes


Would I recommend: Yes, but I consider this more of that light reading you do when you have extra time on your hands. 

Comments

Popular Posts